Saturday, June 13, 2009

Surviving Old Age...

As most have been probably thinking that I have disappeared off the face of this Earth...this is not true, although my mind had been so preoccupied with things other than Art/Sketching or blogging,we are experiencing a change of scene here at home everyday.

My mother in-law and father in-law live with us for 6 months of the year...and have been since I moved over here to Canada...the other half of the year they leave for Jamaica...as everyone knows our Winters are extremely fridged and if you're not on the ski slopes or skating around an ice rink...then it can become rather miserable. Hence many elderly folk head south...a little like our Tree Swallows...but that's another post.
You'll probably have seen, this month and last month have been pretty slim on regular posts...I have slowed down on painting, but have 2 projects which could possibly be occupying my Summer-which would be awesome!
One being a fairy bedroom and the other murals in a bathroom and bedroom...here are the sketches for the bathroom and bedroom...very exciting.
Back to life at home:: My mother in-Law has basically been in and out of Hospital these past few weeks since she came home...reasons...being...cursing and shouting uncontrollably, falling in bathroom and unable to move, convulsing in her bed and unable to speak, hallucinating, accusing,swaying in and out of realities and time frames...and to top it all off...throwing a glass water jug over the banister (8ft drop to hardwood floors below) at my husband(because he turned the breaker off which turns off electricity to her room due to the unimaginable noise her TV was blasting at 5am in the morning(the girls were still sleeping...as was most of the house)
We're very concerned...are having problems trying to figure out our Health System over here, because she needs to give consent to any help
which we could get for her here in our home...so my father in-law doesn't have to be a full-time nurse...because some days she can't walk for 3 days and so is Bed-bound.
Is this Hysteria? Is this Dementia or Alzheimer's setting in....????
This is not an easy situation to be in...we have to make a new Plan for our future's...there's been much disappointment throughout the family and we're hoping that the days cool down a little...it's hard to keep the little ones out of the drama...but I think we've been doing as best we can....all they know is Grandma is not very well.
The last trip to the Hospital ended with some potent meds which have left a calm in the house...but for how long...we do not know????
Sounds like a crazy place to live doesn't it?
Yup...and we've been SO trying to get on with the normal everyday things we do...like work and looking after the girls...dance classes, work appointments...
We'll get through it...and I hope soon...because it consumes your everyday life.
I take my hat off to caregivers of anyone who has a mental health disorder...you're brilliant and patient!
I will update and blog more soon...
We're going to Windsor,Ontario for the Red Bull Air Races tomorrow....which will be great to connect with my dear husband....we love our day trips...a great way to catch up.
Take care...until next...thanks for listening and reading.
Char, Ontario

8 comments:

Beedeebabee said...

Hey there...Gee, I'm so sorry about what's going on. Sounds awful and very sad. My husband's mom has Alzheimer's, and some of those symptoms sound so familiar, but they didn't come on suddenly. It took a few years. His mom gets very angry and screams and cries, doesn't recognize most people most of the time. She's unable to wash or use the bathroom by herself. And mirrors bother her too. If I recall correctly, she had a PET scan, that was the test that confirmed her disease. I hope you can figure out what's wrong soon, and get the right treatment or help for her. Stay positive. Smiles, Paulette :o) ... I like your drawings very much.

Char said...

oh honey, I'm so sorry you're going through that - I can't imagine the stress and worry. I hope they get her towards better or at least comfortable.

the sketches are wonderful

Unknown said...

I enjoyed your sketches very much...the story , not so much. I'll sure say some extra prayers for you and your family. Bad times to go through.

Silke Powers said...

Oh, Char, I am so sorry you all are going through this! It's got to be so hard on everyone involved! I hope that the doctors are able to figure this out soon so that you may all experience some peace and joy again. Sending lots of good energy! Hugs, Silke

pilli pilli said...

Hello Char,

I'm sorry to hear you and your family are going through some really difficult times! There is nothing worse than not knowing what is wrong... so I wish you and your family all the best and I hope there will be some relieve for all of you soon.

Enjoy the little 'escape' with your husband! It's so very important not to forget about those little things that quietly make us stronger...


Hugs,
K.
PilliPilli Handmade

We Blog Artists said...

You're all so great...I never knew I could have such an amazing source ofinspiration and support from all of you...thanks you a million times over.
Char

The Stewart Stuff said...

This sounds so much like my grandmothers fight with Alzheimer's. She started off with physical violence toward my grandfather and then it all came on quite rapidly. Oh, I'm so sorry for you. I will keep you in my prayers. We need a cure! It is such a painful disease to watch our loved ones go through!

Your family is your number one priority, as it should be! Good for you!!!

Ricky_Mehra said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin