Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Tuesdays tastings - Oatcakes a la Char

 Good morning...it's snowing here...how lovely to wake up to a beautiful blanket of snow everywhere...AND to have Oatcakes ready for my morning breakfast.
Over the past 2 years I've noticed how my body bloats if I have wheat...I have cut down my wheat intake...not ruled it out completely...because going to an Italian Restaurant where the Pizza is divine...and NOT being able to taste it...would be a crime. BUT on a day to day bases...bread(regular wheat and multigrain) is now NOT on my menu,and I don't cook pasta at home for my husband and I...the girls love it.
When we were in the UK, Mum and I bought Oatcakes of all different manufactures...they're reasonably priced over there...but whenever we return to Canada...the same Narins Oatcakes are double if not more in price...and this year I promised myself I would make some of my own...
Last night was the test run...I have a couple of comments which I will mention at the end...but here is the recipe if you'd like to try them.They're delicious with ALL toppings...and low calorie,I think mine average 50 calories each as they are a little larger in size than the Narins oatcakes.
 RECIPE:
1 cup dark rye flour
1 cup oat flour
1 cup steel cut oats
2 tablespoons butter(safflower oil or lard)
3/4 tablespoon fine sea salt
1 cup water

 Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In a bowl, combine flours, oats and sea salt. Stir in the butter.
Stir in enough water to form a dough. Knead on a floured surface for 10 seconds or so. Flatten into a disk and roll out to a thickness of 1/8 - 1/4 inch.
With a cookie cutter (I prefer round but do as you wish) stamp out your crackers and place them on an ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake for 15-20 minutes, until edges are brown.

I am going to try to make them JUST from oats and no rye...I find mine a little on the hard side...could be the rye flour or not enough butter...
As I said, this is a test run.I am HAPPY though that for less than a $1 I have one weeks worth of oatcakes for my breakfasts. I made 18 and on average have between 2 and 3 a day.

I have my list to share with you...but errands have to be run first.
We'll be back to "Tell ALL Tuesdays" Interviews next week...and as an alternative, "Tuesdays Tastings" will fill in if I don't have an interview for you all.

Have a fabulous day.
tasty HUGS
Char.x

10 comments:

Victoria Stitch said...

this is a brilliant idea, i eat oatcakes all the time as i also avoid eating wheat. i will defo try this recipe! thanks!

We Blog Artists said...

Excellent...I will keep you posted on how my other tests come along!
Char.x

pilli pilli said...

Oh yummm!
I'm definitely going to try these!
Thanks for sharing!
:o)

*hearts*
& have a great day!
K.

the sleepy time gal said...

yum. have you ever tried king arthur's whole grain baking book? we use it for everything! you would love it.

nicole

Alexandra Hedberg said...

never ever heard about oat cakes ... makes me curious. (I eat no bread for breakfast; just yoghurt and fruits. - and coffee)

Bonnie Heather said...

They sound good! I'm going to try them too.

aimee said...

char, these look delicious!!

Char said...

hmmmm, i've never had an oat cake. sounds intriguing

Damaris @Kitchen Corners said...

I've never heard of oatcakes before. I'm so glad I found your blog now I'm inspired to try something new. Oatcakes, I love it!

Pattaya Girls said...

spice and raison are my favourite flavour of the Nairn oat biscuits shame they are quite high in sugar.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin