Wednesday, February 17, 2010

my Mum...

was born in Sweden...near Malmo. She grew up with 4 other siblings...2 of which are still in Sweden, and her 2 sisters are in Ireland.
My Mum grew up in a house which lay just below a hill which was  used as a ski run in the Winter...she worked the ski-lift when she was old enough...they skiied to school...
In the Summer there were mushrooms and berries to pick...and lakes to swim in....sounds wonderful doesn`t it!
Tall, athletic, stylish in her Marimekko dresses and Hunter boots...this hasn`t changed since the 60`s...
she has taken care of 2 beautiful gardens(one is still running it's course beautifully), a 240 year old house with 7 bedrooms(some very very small bedrooms)and an ancient AGA which had to be fed coal every day...twice a day!!! she took care of chickens, she's raised pheasants, horses,lambs, cows, deer, cats, dogs...oh, and 3 children and our Dad.
I never felt like she was in a rush, she never rushed us...she never shouted at us...she's still NEVER in a rush...she's extremely calming.
She has thrifted at charity shops since I was little... and finds the most remarkable of items.
Her eyes change colour from ice blue to dark grey...depending on the weather and what top she's wearing...she's 67 years old and has only just found some grey hairs on her head.
She has a passion for being happy and has a natural love of textiles and design...
Once upon a time she wove carpets and wall-hangings...this was before she became busy with all of US...and the animals.
She's a master crocheter and knitter...did I tell you my Mum is the BEST chef ever...she makes the best Rye Bread...and gives it all away...
My Mum has taught me everything...nearly...she has a lot more patience than I have...I have to count to 10 spmetimes to stop me from exploding...I have never heard her counting under her breathe.
Meet...the ONE and ONLY Mamma...my Mum, Agneta. (I know she deserves a book written and illustrated about her...it's just finding the time)

Have a wonderful Wednesday...I am dedicating today to you Mum...because I LOVE and MISS you dearly.
Thank you for being such a beautiful person.
your
Char,ON

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

superbe dessin!! tous ces détails et ces couleurs qui se mêlent les unes aux autres, c'est TRES beau!!

We Blog Artists said...

Thank you LOVEPICS...I appreciate your kind words.
Char

Silke Powers said...

Oh, that warmed my heart! You were a lucky, lucky family!! Gorgeous painting - I love the colors!! Your mom sounds like an exceptional person!! Love, Silke

P.S. Malmo - that name brings back such memories of books I cherished by Astrid Lindgren...

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

What a fabulous post about your mama. I love it!

The Stewart Stuff said...

What a wonderful tribute to your mom. She is beautiful and I love to hear about how you were raised. BEAUTIFUL!!!

Flor Larios Art said...

Great post! Beautiful art!

Jaime @ laviejaime said...

This is such a sweet post dedicated to your mum! I love how you captured her style perfectly (from what you describe).

Char said...

gorgeous tribute to your mom! I love it

Anonymous said...

I like this a lot! A good story teller can make the listner imagine! and you did just that!

andrea creates said...

Aw, how sweet!

Diane said...

What a WONDERFUL post--I can't take my eyes off of this painting!

My Owl Barn said...

I love how you've dedicated this post to your mom. Lovely!

Cindy said...

i love your wonderful tribute to your stylish mom. the painting is great, especially her eyes. sounds like she's a great role model and so creative. we can see the apple didn't fall far from the tree as they say.

Kelly Berkey said...

what a darling post char! i love your mum too now!!
i have your charms done, hopefully i'll get you a photo tonight and get them ready to ship tomorrow!! i'll email you later tonight.
hugs,
kelly

We Blog Artists said...

Char, this is so lovely! Your beautiful mumma is the most magical lady,since the moment I first met her she had such an amazing character, homely, reassuring, loving, extraordinary and so at ease with herself and all around her. A love of nature and growing things was instantly attractive and inspiring to me. Every time I visit your family I feel as if strangely I am visiting home. A truly beautiful post, but with a role model like your mum it's no wonder you are the fantastic, creative Mum and friend that you are. Tam xxxx

A Box of Chocolates said...

wow your mum sounds wonderful so clever and such a sweet spirit. Your art is amazing I love that style.

Lise said...

What a beautiful post! Your mum sounds like someone I'd love to know.

Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog!

kendra said...

sweetest post. i want to be like your mum!

pilli pilli said...

Your mom sounds like a great person! ... the sort of person I would love to be!

Very Inspiring!(Maybe you should write that book...)
:o)
K.

JuanitaTortilla said...

Wow. Your mum sounds wonderfully fantastic. It must be the Swedish way of life (but I'm only joking about this stereotype).

Gina said...

beautiful art!

rachel awes said...

lovely to meet the one and only mamma AND to meet the one and only char and her gorgeous art!!! lol.

Victoria Bennett Beyer said...

I loved reading this post about your mother, and having the great illustration so I could picture her. So sweet! I miss my mommy, too, though she's not as far away as yours.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin